Why do we work female Partners of MSM?
- Majority of MSM are heterosexually married.
- MSM population is vulnerable group in terms of Sexual activities with both the sexes.
- MSM and female partners who were HIV positive were identified in this group.
- There are more chances of infection from male to female and then to their newboms.
- To raise awareness levels in the female partners regarding safe sexual encounters, ST is And HIV/AIDS.
MSM and HIV – Country Situation.
The following and additional data and citations can be found at www.aidsdatahub.org HIV Prevalence(2006)
- 6.4% nationwide among MSM, 20 times higher than HIV prevalence of the general Population (0.3%).
- 10% prevalence in MSM in southern and northeastern states.
- Highest in large cities: 32.8% in Delhi; 23.6% in Pune; 19.2% in Bangalore; 14% in Gujarat.
- Alarming HIV prevalence among transgendered/hijra communities where prevalence Varies between 26 and 49 per cent (Mumbai and Delhi respectively).
Hinduism has taken various position, ranging from positive to neutral or antagonistic. Rigveda, one of the four canonical sacred texts of Hinduism says “Vikruti Evam Praknti” (perversity/diversity is what nature is all about, or, what seems un-natural is also natural), which some scholars believe recognizes homosexuality as natural, if not an approval of homosexuality. However, sexuality is rarely discussed openly in hindu society today. And homosexuality is largely a taboo subject- especially among the strongly religious. In a 2004 survey, most swamis said they opposed the concept of a hindu-sanctified gay marriage. Some of the law codes,such as that of manu smriti refer to both female and male homosexuality as a punishable crime. Punishments include ritual bath, fines, public humiliation and having fingers cut off. However, the bulk of sexual matters dealt with by the law books are heterosexual in nature.